Are You Eligible for Student Health Insurance in Germany? Find Out Now!

3 min

read time

When it comes to studying in Germany, one thing is essential: securing the right health insurance coverage. It's not just a recommendation; it's a legal requirement. Not to worry, though - muffin, your digital insurance buddy, is here to help you make sense of it all!

Understanding Student Health Insurance in Germany

Health insurance is mandatory for every student in Germany, including EU and non-EU citizens. In general, students under the age of 30 can access public health insurance at a discounted rate. However, eligibility requirements for public health insurance differ for EU and non-EU students.

EU/EEA Students

If you're from an EU/EEA country, you can use the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) to get health insurance in Germany. This will allow you to access the same health care services as German citizens.

Non-EU Students

Non-EU students need to follow a slightly different process. First, you'll need to apply for a specific visa, and you might need travel insurance or expat health insurance before you can access German public health insurance. Be sure to have the required documents ready, such as your proof of registration (Immatrikulationsbescheinigung) from your university.

What if You're Over 30 or Not at a Preapproved University?

If you're over 30 or not enrolled at a preapproved university, you won't qualify for public health insurance. You'll need to look into expat health insurance or discounted student insurance options instead.

Things to Consider as a Student When Choosing Health Insurance

  • Cost: Be mindful of your budget when choosing an insurance plan. Public insurance options usually offer more affordable rates for students, while private insurance plans tend to be more expensive.

  • Coverage: Make sure your chosen plan provides the coverage you need, such as coverage for illnesses, accidents, and pre-existing conditions. Public insurance typically offers comprehensive coverage, while expat insurance might only provide limited coverage.

  • Working while studying: Keep in mind that if you choose to work during your studies, you may lose your eligibility for public health insurance.

  • Disability insurance: muffin recommends that students also consider getting income protection (also known as disability insurance) to secure financial support in case of illness or accidents during their studies. It's more affordable when you're younger and healthier so the sooner you get it, the better!

Wrapping It Up

When studying in Germany, it's essential to secure the right health insurance coverage. Remember to take into account your citizenship, age, and other factors to determine the best insurance plan for you. And if you need help navigating through the complexities of insurance, muffin is always here for you - your friendly digital insurance buddy!